Personnel is a very important and significant element of any enterprise. The successful outcome of the business will depend on their quality selection. Work with personnel originates at the stage of searching for potential employees for a particular organization. In order to work with personnel in the most efficient way, a special program of action is being developed, which is called the organisation’s personnel policy.
Programs that are included in the personnel policy of the enterprise:
- recruitment and selection of personnel,
- recruitment and distribution activities,
- training, retraining, career guidance and retraining of personnel,
- staff reserve,
- measures for entering the position and adaptation of the employee in the workplace,
- motivation of employees,
Read this guide to know how to find a job abroad in this field.
Operational plan of work with personnel
All these activities are carried out by the heads of the organization and personnel managers who develop, approve and implement plans and special programs. One of these documents is an operational plan for working with personnel.
When compiling this work plan with personnel, consider the following points:
- the period for which certain actions are calculated – this can be a work shift, year, quarter or working day;
- object relation, to which specific object the event or action is oriented – workshop, workplace, division, organization;
- a structural sign is the release of personnel, the need for it, hiring, retraining or training of new personnel, the possibility of career growth for employees, the costs of hiring and training personnel, and retraining of personnel.
How to make modern resume template.
This document discusses in detail the operational actions of the personnel manager, which he must perform at a certain time and for a certain period. All this information is supported by calculations of financial and other means, and must necessarily have a justification. Without an operational plan, an organization cannot meet its staffing needs in a timely and qualitative manner and generally effectively use human resources. This is very important for its successful operation, so the development of this plan is given special attention.
To obtain the necessary information for this document, special questionnaires are used, which are developed by experienced specialists in the field of work with personnel.
Information obtained from special questionnaires for drawing up a personnel plan:
- the number of permanent employees of the organization (personal data of employees by the passport, their place of residence, date of birth, date of admission to the position, etc.),
- the structure of the company’s employees (the proportion of men and women, disabled people, skilled and unskilled workers),
- staff turnover (the number of employees who quit in a certain period),
- the amount of time during which there was a downtime in production or the employee could not perform his duties due to illness,
- remuneration for labour activity of personnel (surcharges to the basic salary or bonus system, salary structure, remuneration according to tariffs or over them, additional payments),
- the length of the working day of each employee (the employee is only part-time or full-time, the production works in one or more shifts, the duration of the planned vacations of employees),
- social services that are provided to employees by the organization and the state (an item of expenditure that goes to various social needs by the law or voluntarily).
When drawing up such a personnel plan, most often they take one year as a basis – it will be more expedient to plan the needs of employees.
Work with personnel in the organization: stick or carrot?
With the help of what approach will it be more effective to influence the staff so that their contribution to the organization’s activities is the most significant? Whip or gingerbread?
Through special events that can change the personal qualities of a person, one can influence his attitude to work and the performance of official duties, increase responsibility to the employer and increase labour productivity. They can be carried out both before the employee starts working at the enterprise, and is already in the process of his active labour activity in this organization.
Carrying out training and events related to improving the skills of employees. It can be additional education, retraining or getting a completely new profession.
Using positive and negative methods to motivate employees to work. Positive motivation includes praise, rewards, and monetary rewards. Whereas repressive methods of influence involve the removal of a bonus, a reprimand, or even dismissal.
What method of influence and in what situation should be used?
To choose the appropriate method of influencing the staff, it is necessary to determine the problem that needs to be solved.
The company has employees who, for whatever reason, do not suit the management. But for the effective operation of the organization, this is unacceptable. After all, employees were hired to perform their official duties, which should be performed efficiently and at a high level. Therefore, the fact that responsibilities are not being fulfilled at the proper level needs to be urgently changed. At the same time, it is necessary to correct this as soon as possible, at minimal cost and with the maximum effect.
To do this, you should carefully consider the problem and decide what specifically does not suit the work of a particular employee. It can be:
- objective and subjective indicators of the quality of labour activity,
- personal qualities of a person that negatively affect labour activity,
- interpersonal relationships that may interfere with quality work.
Objective indicators that may not suit the employer
The enterprise has a certain performance standard, but the employee cannot fulfil it. Possible reasons:
- there is not sufficient qualification, which does not allow a person to fulfil the standards,
- the employee, by his nature or other reasons, does not want to fulfil the required performance standard,
- outdated or inflated norms that are somewhat inadequate,
- working conditions do not allow successfully fulfilling the required standards,
- the organizational structure of the enterprise is imperfect, which significantly complicates the implementation of standards.
Successful work with personnel will be in the first two cases; in others, it is no longer necessary to influence personnel.
In the first case, if the employee does not comply with the standards required of him, he must be trained: explain the basic technologies of work or simply adapt the person to the changed production conditions.
If the employee does not want to do the work, they should act with negative motivation so that the discomfort from not doing the work significantly exceeds the level of discomfort from its full performance. As a result, the employee will either try to fulfil the required norm or quit altogether. In each case, the employer wins. After all, if you do not work and do not follow the instructions of the head – this is the principled behaviour of the employee, he is not needed by the organization.
Subjective indicators affecting labour activity
Here the employer or just the head of the department cannot clearly explain to himself what does not suit him in this employee. After all, he cannot express dissatisfaction with any specific figures and indicators.
There are two versions of the problem: either a flaw in the standards and norms or personal antipathy. What to do? Revise work standards, otherwise, claims against the employee will be perceived only as personal and subjective. If you personally dislike an employee, analyze why.
For your information, the practice of hiring a person who does not evoke absolutely any emotions in the employer or immediate supervisor is considered very common – neither positive nor negative. Work is work, and the less it is coloured with human emotions, the fewer difficulties and problems will arise in the process. The manager will not have to guess about the objectivity of his attitude to this employee’s work.
Working with personnel in an organization If character traits or other personal qualities of an employee interfere with the work of the organization, either change the employee or change the attitude towards his person. Here the employer needs to objectively and soberly assess the situation and decide how important and irreplaceable this person is to the enterprise to put up with his shortcomings. But if a person interferes with a successful business with his behaviour, there is only one way out – dismissal. Perhaps not so abruptly and not immediately, because everyone needs a second chance, you need to soberly assess the situation and understand if the employee has a desire to change.
Interactions with colleagues and personal relationships that can affect the quality of work
Work at the enterprise means communication in a collective. If there are disagreements or conflicts between employees, then the performance of the organization can suffer significantly.
Possible reasons for the ineffective work of the team:
- employees are not accustomed to cooperation among themselves at the proper level and do not know how to interact within this team,
- the culture of the corporation is not built properly, which does not allow employees to follow the same direction for business success,
- the interaction between the personnel and the management of the enterprise is inefficiently built, which causes some conflicts,
- there is an informal leader in the team, which negatively affects its well-coordinated work.
Which approach to choose?
We can conclude that to train staff, there must be a basis supported by factual data or the will of the employee, and if the employee does not want to learn and oppose it in every possible way, do not keep such a person at your enterprise, because laziness and his comfort are more important to him than the general business success.
Trying to re-educate personnel is a completely thankless and even unsafe event because a leader should be engaged in an economically profitable business and run a business, and not practice psychological assistance.
The use of a whip when influencing employees is necessary, and it can even serve as an excellent motivation mechanism. At the same time, excessive pickiness to each minor violation can cause a backlash from the team and demotivate it together.